Thursday, January 7, 2010

Oedipus should not be guilty for killing his father. He did not know that Laius was king over the land he was headed to and in fact was defending himself. After being assaulted any man has the right to defend him self. Laius maybe thought he was defending himself because this 'stranger' came across him in his path, therefore feeling threatened. Being outsider and not feeling a connection to Laius and only Oedipus I feel that I am not being far to Laius. So I thought what it would feel like to me if Laius was introduced in the play. I would be able to see how he ruled the people, and what type of ruler he was. If he was given the chance to make a connection with me I would feel that Oedipus is guilty*, but he wasn't so therefore I feel that Oedipus is not guilty and he was defending himself.


* It may seem as though I am contradicting my self by saying that Oedipus is guilty if I knew Laius and he is not if I don't. I am only trying to make a point inside of my point that nobody can be completely bias because it is human instinct to go with something you are familiar to or are able to relate to. And since I am able to relate more with Oedipus I tend to favor him. (I am sorry for making my answer so difficult, but it is the truth).

1 comment:

  1. You make a fair point on the conflict with Laius. What about the events that occurred afterward? Also, where is part 2 of the post?

    ReplyDelete