Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Anagnorisis

There have been several occurrences of anagnorisis in my life. Thankfully not as awful and dramatic as Oedipus had. In fact, most of them were very minor. One example that I can think of would be when I was in eighth grade. I was sent up to Algebra to see how I would do in a different class and determine if I was ready to learn in a high school class. I went up with several other former eighth graders such as Sarah and Sam. The class didn't seem to difficult at first. All we did for the first quarter was homework, projects, and one test. So, it was almost the end of the first quarter, and I had an A+ in Algebra. Surprisingly, we had not had a test yet, but we had covered several chapters. Eventually, Ms.Haakstad gave us a cumulative first quarter test. When I heard about this test I made sure and studied as much as I could in preparation for it. I was a little bit nervous about taking the test for I felt I didn't deserve to be in that class in the first place. The test was handed out at the beginning of class on a Friday if I remember correctly. It was a long test so I didn't exactly finish in the short time period given on Fridays. However, I finished as the lunch period was starting. As I handed in this test I felt really good about it. I was one hundred percent positive that I was going to get an A on it. Now, you can understand how I felt when the test was handed back to me and I received a D. How did I get a D! I said this to myself many times as I looked over the paper again and again. I saw the same thing that Ms.Haakstad saw. I knew the material very well. I knew how to solve the problems. I just made dumb mistakes on most of them. I believe that I was rushing through it too quickly and not being careful enough. I was able to take a retake, this time I was sure I was going to get an A (this new grade would take over the old one if a got a higher percent of them correct). Guess what? I received the same grade as before. I was shocked! I had never received such a bad grade on a test before. I had especially never received a bad grade a math test before. Luckily, I was able to rebound from those two tests and get much better grades. This is one of the best examples of anagnorisis in my life so far.

Arron Long-Lewis

1 comment: