Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hero's adventure and the beginning of Athens

I agree with Joseph Campbell in some respect, but I also disagree. I don't think we all feel completely powerless. I know some people have less faith in humanity than others, but I still believe some people still act heroically, and we see flashes of this from time to time. For example, or maybe this isn't the best example, when Sully landed the plane on the lake in New York, he showed an act of heroism. I still have extreme respect for Joseph Campbell, though, but I don't completely agree with with him.
Now, moving on, to the Athenian origin story, At the beginning, they were all a bunch of independent tribes and then they all fell under king Theseos after their first few kings died. Theseos turned the city of Athens into the mother city and united the tribes to form one great democracy. Ahead of their time, government wise, besides the oligarchy they had still had, as shown in their constitution. He also divided the Commonwealth into three groups, the noblemen, the farmers, and the artisans.


No comments:

Post a Comment